I just learned something. Namely, that Ramadan is actually the name of a month in the Lunar Calendar still used for religious purposes by Muslims. And it's the month in which the Koran (as one popular English spelling has it) was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad. I didn't know this. I just assumed that Ramadan was the name of a fast participated in by Muslims once a year some time in the summer.
Ah, prepositions. Another "problem" with them is that they call for (require) the accusative (objective) case of pronouns. These cases are no longer used with regular nouns, so that even native speakers don't realize that "me" is actually the accusative or objective case of "I," for example, which is why "between you and me" is correct, though these days even the president of the United States may say "between you and I." Strange, but true.
And the idea that prepositions should not end a sentence is really alien to English - it comes from a rule in Latin. As far as I can tell (or, remember). In any case, prepositions are useful little "critters" (creatures), but we should be on our guard to make sure that we are using them correctly. At the same time, how can we know, if we are still just learning English?
No comments:
Post a Comment