By Steven Scheer
Emily Dickinson's poetry is available online right here:
http://www.bartleby.com/113/
It's interesting that they break her poetry into categories the way I used to when I taught her poems in my American literature classes in college. If you click on Index of First Lines, it seems that you get her complete poems - just click on any title and the poem should open up.
In my posts I have been giving the numbers used in the Standard Edition of The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, edited by Thomas H. Johnson. In this edition the poems are numbered, but there is an Index of first lines, too, at the back of the book. She didn't title her poems, so the words of the first lines are the only way to identify a given poem.
I am not entirely sure that the Bartleby online edition gives you the complete poems, but it seems to give you quite a few. As I recall, they say that they give you more than 500 of them, which is plenty for anyone to explore to begin with.
I hope this helps!
No comments:
Post a Comment